Update: May 2, 2016: My name is still Pam, and I’m now 47 years old. I have re-written my “about me” as I now am better able to stay focused and feel better. I am one month post amalgam removal.

When I was 12, the school district was offering free dental checkups. My mother signed the permission slip, and when the day came, they stuck us on a bus and shipped us out somewhere, I have no idea where, was about an hour drive… and each of us in turn got our mouths filled up with mercury. I know I got at least 14 fillings that day. It may have been more, because since then I had some extractions when I got braces. All in one day. I had never had a filling in any of my teeth before this. 

So, for the majority of my life, I’ve lived with 14 silver fillings. I had them for 34 years. The dentist filled every surface, and when I started crying from the pain, he asked me how old I was. When I answered “12” he told me to stop crying and act my age. I’ve been terrified of dentists ever since. 

I am pretty sure I didn’t need those fillings. I have since heard that this type of thing was called “preventative dentistry”. I certainly wasn’t given a choice, either to have them put in, or a choice of filling materials, and I had no adult there advocating for me. 

Since then, I went from an outgoing extroverted child to an introverted hermit. Puberty and the teen years were full of angst and depression. I didn’t feel myself, and looking back I can see how I changed over the years. Things smoothed out during my 20’s but I always felt like there was some doom hanging over me. I managed to get through 4 years of college in 3 years time, with a GPA of 3.96, so I was functioning pretty well at that point.  I worked and had a social life and got married and moved across the country. 

After the move, I went to the doctor for a physical because I was feeling tired. She offered the flu shot and I accepted. I got the flu the next day, achy and sick. My eyes went from bright to dull. I was depressed again. This lasted for a couple months.

Things got better but my energy was always iffy. I visited other doctors and always mentioned my low energy. They always told me I was fine, get more sleep, drink more water. 

When I was 32 I got pregnant. I was immediately exhausted. Same advice from the doctors, drink more water. The baby came 2 months early, and the next several years was spent taking care of a preemie, then years of speech therapy for him, then vision therapy. Then learning issues. I have just recently ordered and received the results of a Toxic and Essential Elements hair test for him, and he shows high mercury, and deranged mineral transport signs. He has never had amalgams, did have some vaccinations until about age 3, so he most likely got a load of mercury from me in the the womb. 

In the meantime, I got Graves Disease. I got that into remission using natural medicine. Then I caught mono, and that turned into Hashimoto’s. I worked to get that into remission, eliminating gluten, taking natural herbal supplements, etc. Eventually an ND suggested a candida cleanse and I gave that a shot – hoping to get some long-time sinus issues under control. At first I felt great. I lost about 40 pounds and had endless happy energy. I was sure this was the answer, and after the candida cleanse ended, I adopted the diet, which was pretty much no carb ketogenic diet. I felt amazing for about 9 months… but then I started tasting metal all the time, food tasted horrible, and I started feeling tired and gaining weight. 

At first I thought my thyroid medicine must have expired. I dumped it and asked for a fresh prescription. That didn’t do it. I started really focusing on all the things I had done in the past to get into remission in the first place. Nothing was working. About 6 months later I couldn’t move without hurting, I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t regulate my own temperature – I was either sweating or freezing, no in between. I felt like I was dying, but I dragged myself to the ND and asked her to look at RT3 and adrenals. She said it couldn’t be that, we had been through that before, it must be something new. She drew 7 vials of blood and decided I had Lupus. She wanted me to go see a Rheumatologist. 

I took my lab results home with me and tried to figure out what was really wrong. I didn’t want Lupus. I had done all the root cause stuff to get two autoimmune diseases into remission, how could I have a third one now? I stared at those results for probably 3 months. One day I was able to focus enough to see that my morning cortisol was a 4. A FOUR. It should have been a 22. At 2, I would have been diagnosed with Addison’s Disease. Yes, another autoimmune disease. 

I went back to the doctor to ask for HC – Hydrocortisone – she wouldn’t prescribe it. So I ordered some adrenal glandular from the internet that had good reviews and that seemed to work ok – it took the edge off at least. I studied everything I could about adrenals and did everything that sounded reasonable. Three years later, my adrenals were still in the tank. 

After a while, after doing everything right and still not healing, I realized I was living the definition of insanity. I kept doing the same things expecting different results – obviously it was time to dig deeper. I started researching supplements I had not tried before. One was Taurine – it sounded like the fountain of youth. I decided I was going to take that, and I was going to start working out, gently, just getting 10K steps in a day. Walking is supposed to be good for adrenals. I’d done a lot of adrenal healing and I felt like it was worth a try to see if regular exercise would help turn everything around.

Exercise felt good, while I was doing it, but… no sooner would I stop, hydrate, get a shower, I’d be done for the day. Falling asleep. I kept with it hoping it would get better. It didn’t. My endurance got less and less and I lowered my steps to 8K then to 5K. I increased my adrenal support, and I was still falling asleep. I would wake up from a nap and fall right back to sleep. I was sleeping my life away. 

At this point I was really scared. I had to do something drastic, or I would probably not live to see my son graduate HS at this rate, never mind live to see any grandchildren. 

A friend mentioned she’d gotten her amalgams out and it was like a switch snapping on. That was the thing I’d been ignoring ever since I learned I had autoimmune disease. I couldn’t ignore it any longer. 

I knew my amalgams were a problem. I could no longer drink cold drinks or eat hot food, or my teeth would zing with pain. I had asked my dentist about this for the past several visits. He kept saying they were ok still, not time to change my fillings out. On my last visit, my hygienist said, quietly, “well, you’ve got some tiny little cracks, it looks like you clench your teeth”. And then the dentist came in and said “Looks great! See you next time!”. 

Meantime I had watched a building a few blocks from my house become transformed… they were covering it in reclaimed wood and making it look nice. Then a sign went up “Holistic Dentist”. I decided to call and schedule an informational consultation and was able to get in that week. They were very nice, and reassuring, and I decided, after seeing that she was an IAOMT dentist and had good reviews, to give it a go. She said yes, my teeth were cracking because the amalgam was old and expanding and between that and clenching my teeth, it was ruining my teeth. I had cracks in a couple of molars that were leaking mercury out the sides as well as off the surface. No wonder my teeth hurt. No wonder I was so sick. She said she could save them, if all went well with the removal and put a porcelain onlay on them. She said this was better than a crown, because it saved more of the tooth. 

She wanted me to take liposomal glutathione and chlorella. I tried the glutathione first and instantly had that can’t stay awake feeling I’d been getting. I tried it a few times but it just kept knocking me out. So I put that aside and tried the chlorella. That did not make me sleepy, but it did make me feel weird, like my brain was missing. I started to feel kind of like I had been when I’d been working out, getting steps – achey and inflamed weight gain. But I kept taking it because she told me to take it before my first appointment to get the first set of amalgams out. 

The day came and I went in. I was really scared, not having had fillings done since I was 12, by the butcher dentist. They were wonderful, but I still had a few panic attacks and felt like I was gulping air in during some of the removal process. It all went well but I felt pretty horrible for several days. In the meantime, I found a Facebook group for Andrew Cutler Chelation Protocol and joined them. I quickly learned that I’d made a mistake with the chlorella and probably the glutathione. I stopped taking all of that and asked for help and was told to take some activated charcoal, loads of vitamin C, and bathe in epsom salts. I did all this and started feeling better bit by bit. By the time I had to go back for my second set of revisions, I was feeling a lot better, but I was still missing words, forgetting things and forgetting what I was doing. 

The second set went much better. The oxygen nosepiece seemed more secure and I didn’t have a panic attack. I loaded up on activated charcoal before and after, came home and took an epsom salt bath and showered off any mercury residue and threw my clothes in the wash. The next day I even felt good enough to take the dog for a walk! Also, my right ear stopped ringing. Years of Tinnitus, gone in an instant. (It was my right side that was now mercury-free). 

There was a three week wait before my next revision appointment. I started researching why the chlorella had made me feel so bad. I discovered Thiol food issues, which lead me to CBS gene and sulfur issues. I decided to try molybdenum supplements and cut back on sulfur foods and supplements. Turns out that taurine I had been taking was a sulfur and it had put me over the edge into uncontrollable sleepiness. Almost instantly, the sleepiness issue went away. Just went away. Sulfur was causing me to fall asleep. I wonder if it was narcolepsy. I haven’t asked my doctor, since I fixed it on my own. I have not completely eliminated all thiol foods yet, because I seem to be doing so much better with limited sulfur and molybdenum. 

During this time I also ordered a toxic and essential elements hair test. It came back high mercury and deranged mineral status. 

The next dental visit I asked if we could just get the last two quadrants done all at once, I really wanted to be done with the waiting and just get it all out. It was a long visit, but we did it and I was amalgam free. This was on April 4, 2016. 

That night, as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep (which was weird in itself, as sleep has not been an issue for a very long time), I realized I was breathing through my nose instead of my mouth. I hadn’t been able to breath through my nose for years and years. It was always stuffy and nothing ever really worked to unstuff it for long. But here I was, breathing like a normal person. It was amazing. Also, I couldn’t hear my ears ringing, either ear. Again, amazing. Every night for over 15 years, I’ve had ringing in my ears. The next morning, my husband commented on how quiet I’d been all night. He had been worried I’d died because I was so quiet and wasn’t snoring. Getting my amalgams out fixed my snoring issue!

I also just felt better in general. Like a huge load had been lifted off my shoulders, like I could smile again, laugh at things. I found myself laughing out loud at a tv show and caught my husband looking at me with his jaw dropped. I guess it’s been a really long time since I laughed at anything, especially a stupid tv show. 

Additionally, my teeth are no longer sensitive. I can drink a glass of something filled with ice cubes again. I can eat hot foods. I don’t get zinging pains from cold or hot or sugar. Those “tiny cracks” were really a big deal.

For the first time in a very long time, I feel hopeful. I might just get my life back. 

Here is a list of my health issues before amalgam removal:

  • Chronic Low Iron levels for as long as I’ve been tested.
  • Grave’s Disease (remission in 2003)
  • Gluten Intolerance
  • Corn Intolerance
  • Peanut Intolerance
  • Hashimoto’s Disease
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Adrenal Insufficiency
  • Positive test for SLE Lupus
  • Depression (apathy, lack of motivation)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Tinnitus
  • Blurry vision
  • Tingling limbs
  • Heart palpitations
  • Toenail fungus
  • Grey hair
  • Losing hair in patches, it grows back in grey
  • Ridges on fingernails
  • Inflammation 
  • Swollen Lymph glands
  • Stubborn weight gain
  • Exercise intolerance 
  • Spider veins
  • Accelerated Aging
  • Breathlessness
  • Narcolepsy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Acne
  • Low blood pressure
  • Low cholesterol
  • Shaking hands
  • Recurring EBV (Mono)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Estrogen dominance
  • Painful menstruation 
  • Carpal tunnel 
  • Brain fog, loss of vocabulary
  • Snoring
  • Loss of smell

I am 3 rounds into the Andrew Cutler Chelation protocol – low dose oral chelation. I’m using 2.5 mg DMPS so far, and I am doing really well. I have some energy back, my tinnitus comes and goes, the stuffy nose comes and goes but I can still breath through my nose, and I can even smell again.  Best of all, my depression is lifting. I feel able to handle social interactions – something that has been difficult for a long time. My vocabulary seems to be coming back, improving. I feel happier and hopeful. I’m getting things done like gardening, house and car maintenance, I even scheduled a vacation. 

I think getting my amalgams out was the best thing I’ve done and I only wish I’d done it many many years ago before 34 years of damage was done. 


This was written pre-amalgam removal, February 2016:

My name is Pam.

I’m 46 years old.

I’ve been fighting autoimmune diseases for 14 years… or more.

This is my story.

So far I’ve gotten Grave’s Disease into remission.

So far I’ve gotten Hashimoto’s Disease into remission.

So far I’ve learned how to live gluten-free and avoid corn, peanuts and processed foods that make me sick.

So far I’ve learned how to live with severe adrenal fatigue.

So far I’ve been able to keep the markers for SLE Lupus from turning into full blown SLE Lupus.

It’s gotten really hard.

I spend a lot of time researching health info.

I spend a lot of money on supplements.

I spend a lot of time resting and conserving my energy.

I’m really sick of it all.

There has to be a better way.

There has to be a root cause.

The root of all roots.

And after several years of denial and fear, I think it’s name is Mercury.

I think my 14 silver amalgam fillings that I’ve had for 34 years are probably my root cause.

It’s time to get them out of my mouth and get the mercury out of my cells.

I know it’s not going to be easy.

I know it’s not going to be fun.

I know it will be worth it if it works.

This is my story.

I want my life back.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s